Dedicated Server Hosting Vs Cloud Hosting - Which One To Pick
The dilemma is real when you struggle to choose between dedicated server hosting and cloud hosting. There are a number of pros and cons attached with each. You need to see which one suits you the most and opt for it accordingly. But before, we touch on this topic, we need to first understand what exactly do these two terminologies mean. Now imagine, you are running a website. You have your basic layout and design for the web ready. The next step involves getting a domain. Domain name is what you will type in the browsing window to locate your website. Domain name is your house address which helps people locates your house. To stay in the house, you need to pay some rent. Similarly, hosting a website is defining where your website lives and just like a house you need to pay some rent to utilize this space on the web.
Web hosting is basically the space you buy on the web server to store your website files. These services are generally outsourced to a web hosting service organization. Web hosting is two types dedicated server hosting and cloud hosting.
- Dedicated server hosting: it is an arrangement between your organization and your hosting server provider, where the latter provides for a physical server in order to run your applications smoothly. It is a traditional method of hosting, where an organization buys or leases a server and pays a certain amount for the services provided irrespective of its use.
- Cloud Hosting: Cloud hosting on the other hand basically operates across various interconnected web servers. You just create your instance in this interconnected space to run your applications. Also in this type of hosting, you will only pay till the amount and time you are actually using the space.
It is much easier to take a decision which one to opt according to your organization because now you know what it really means. Most of the forums and discussion boards state a biased opinion for cloud hosting over dedicated hosting. Which is why, we are just stating our unbiased opinions by stating the pros and cons for both and then the choice is yours to opt for the correct one.
Dedicated Server hosting:
- It is easy and reliable to install a dedicated server hosting. All you need is a good internet connectivity to install such a hosting.
- You have full control over your data and you have full authority to manage the same. You get to decide the site management tools and other applications.
- Your dedicated hosting service provider is fully responsible for upgrades, maintaining connectivity and providing an optimal physical environment,
- Since such services are outsourced, your IT department can be engaged in creating more applications to ensure smooth working of the organization.
- You have a heightened virtual security since you are not sharing your space with any other tenants.
- Most of the dedicated servers are costly and range from $100 to $1000 depending on the kind of packages you choose.
- If any case, the server crashes there is no source of backup and your web application goes on a toss. There is no interim solution till the time the server is up and running again.
- You require a dedicated technical team for its complete installation.
- It provides flexibility in terms of switching your hosts as and when your organizations grow.
- You do not require a specialized team to install it, in fact it will just take a few minutes to install.
- You are only charged for the amount of storage and the time for which you use the services. It is based on a ‘pay-as-you-use’ model which makes it more economical.
- You have the choice of selecting your own operating system according to the need to of your organization.
- It is comparatively more reliable since in case of any server crashing, your web application will not go down since your data is stored at multiple locations. Therefore, it provides for a backup and only slows down the performance instead of shutting down.
- Since your sharing your space with other tenant, there is less virtual security as compared to a dedicated server hosting.
- It does usually come with customizable options but very limited ones and you have less control over your site management tools.
The decision is totally for the kind of web hosting you need depending on the size and the type of your organization. However, both these hosting can prove to be a little expensive and you usually end up compromising on the anti –virus software. To resort to more economical means, you can opt discount coupons from softocoupon which helps you install such software at discounted rates. This ensures the security of your data both internally and externally.