66 Percent Of IT Professionals Feel That Increasing IT Complexity Makes It More Difficult For Them To Be Successful
88 Percent of IT Teams Seek a Better Approach to Control Increasing Complexity
LEXINGTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ipswitch, the leader in easy to try, buy and use IT management software, today announced the findings of recently completed research into how IT teams are managing the increasing complexity of their applications and infrastructure. Respondents overwhelmingly feel that today’s IT environments are very complex – and that growing complexity is making it more difficult for them to do their jobs successfully.
The research pointed to IT teams feeling that they are at risk of losing control of their company’s IT environment in the face of new technologies, devices and performance requirements.
Top findings of the research included:
- 66 percent of IT professionals feel that increasing IT complexity makes it more difficult for them to do their jobs successfully
- 88 percent of respondents want IT management software that offers more monitoring flexibility, with fewer restrictions
- More than half of respondents (54 percent) reported that they have found current software licensing models to be either too expensive, inflexible or complicated
- The IT management challenges that IT teams were most worried about included: mobile devices and wireless networks (55 percent), cloud applications (50 percent), virtualization (49 percent), bring your own device (BYOD) (43 percent) and high-bandwidth applications (41 percent), such as video or streaming
The full report, entitled “The Challenges of Controlling IT Complexity” is available for download here.
According to the research, some 44 percent of IT teams are either not monitoring everything they want to on their networks – or don’t know if they are. Further highlighting the trouble that IT teams are having monitoring and managing the systems used in their organizations, the research showed that the vast majority are using multiple different tools to monitor their networks.
“With the pressure of increasing complexity, IT teams are looking for better IT management tools that enable them to securely control their environment and ensure 24/7 uptime and performance,” said Jeff Loeb, Chief Marketing Officer, Ipswitch. “Modern IT Teams need powerful and easy to try, buy and use IT management solutions that are both flexible and affordable.”
The findings of the research can be grouped into two major themes:
- IT Teams Are Concerned About Losing Control of Business Transactions, Applications and Infrastructure Due to Increasing Complexity
Managing the complexity of today’s IT environments was a recurring theme throughout the responses, as 66 percent of respondents said that increasing IT complexity simply made it more difficult for them to do their jobs successfully.
Respondents were asked what IT management challenges they were most worried about. The biggest worries were:
- More than half (55 percent) indicated mobile devices and wireless networks
- Cloud applications were a big worry for 50 percent of respondents, while virtualization was next with 49 percent
- BYOD, or bringing your own devices to work, was the next highest response with 43 percent citing it as a major worry
- Monitoring applications that eat up a great deal of bandwidth, such as video or streaming, were a worry for 41 percent
- IT Teams Need Better IT Management Software
88 percent of respondents said that they’d like to find IT management software that offers more monitoring flexibility, with fewer restrictions, at no additional cost. This makes sense given the complexity they have to deal with and the lack of effectiveness of current solutions.
To cope with the need to manage the increasingly complex technology stack, organizations are using a combination of non-integrated tools. 44 percent of IT teams are either using more than 3 tools to monitor their networks or are not sure about how many tools they use to do so, with many organizations using 10 to 20 tools. This results in IT professionals spending too much time switching from tool to tool to try to get an accurate view into their application and infrastructure performance. This is time and effort that could be used elsewhere if they had a solution that would make it easier to have a holistic view of their operations.
Even with all these tools, IT teams reported that they were not monitoring everything that they would like to in order to ensure control. Top reasons for this include: budget (28 percent), lack of staff (18 percent) and the complexity of the IT environment they have to deal with (15 percent). Finally, 54 percent said IT management software licensing models are too expensive, inflexible and complicated to deal with.
Ipswitch’s research was conducted in March-April 2016, asking IT decision makers about the state of IT management and network monitoring at their organizations. More than 1,300 respondents across the globe completed the survey. For access to the full report, please visit: https://www.ipswitch.com/Ipswitch/media/Ipswitch/Documents/Resources/Whitepapers%20and%20eBooks/The-Challenges-of-Controlling-IT-Complexity-Report.pdf.
Today’s hard-working IT teams are relied upon to manage increasing complexity and deliver near-zero downtime. Ipswitch IT management software helps them succeed by enabling secure control of business transactions, applications and infrastructure. Ipswitch software is powerful, flexible and easy to try, buy and use. The company’s software helps teams shine by delivering 24/7 performance across cloud, virtual and network environments. Ipswitch powers more than 150,000 networks spanning 168 countries, and is based in Lexington, Mass., with offices throughout the U.S., Europe, Asia and Latin America. For more information, please visit http://www.ipswitch.com/, or connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
fama PR for Ipswitch
Jeff Drew, 617-986-5004