Grammarly Vs Ginger: Which Grammar Software Editor Is Better?
Writers across the globe are widely different in their needs. Some write because they love it and they want to be famous authors. Some write because they want to give their business a boost. Some are professional writers and some just write casually.
In all of these cases, writers need a trained eye on their words to check for mistakes and fix them. Typos, grammar and style mistakes are never a good thing, as you can see here, especially in a professional environment - with agents, editors or audience reading the content.
If you want to be clear, you need to be accurate and it’s not always easy to catch all those pesky mistakes by yourself. And we all have those few words we can never spell properly.
Fortunately, you don’t have to pay for an editor to review your work - you can use the software. And there are many options out there. Of course, the most famous two options are Grammarly and Ginger.
There are several important differences between Ginger and Grammarly, and their importance will depend solely on what you need. Here are some of the most relevant ones:
- Grammarly offers support for Mac with its desktop app while Ginger doesn’t
- Grammarly has a plagiarism checker (in the paid version) while Ginger doesn’t
- Grammarly is more convenient to use
- Grammarly is more expensive
Of course, from this list, it would seem that Grammarly is the best option to choose, but it’s not that simple. To know which tool would work for you, you need to know the nuances of each software and how it works.
Writing Enrichment Software
To know what to pick, you first need to know what writing enrichment software is. In essence, it’s an editing tool that fixes your grammar and spelling. However, these days, tools like Ginger and Grammarly offer much more.
They offer plenty of resources and tools that make your writing life easier. For example, both can be used as a way to find better synonyms, simplify your writing or improve your style. They make your writing concise, clear and interesting.
Things To Look for In An Enrichment Software
There are many differences in what each software has to offer. Some of them simply check your grammar and spelling. Some enhance your writing. The important thing to do is look at what you need.
What do you have the most problems with?
- Your writing is good in style, but you often make spelling mistakes - In this case, all you need is a simple spellchecker, which sometimes comes included with your writing software or you can find it for free online.
- Your grammar and spelling are good, but you feel like you need to improve your style - In this case, you’ll probably need something more comprehensive and holistic. The tools you need should be able to check your phrasing and the length of your sentences.
- You may need a bit of help with both - If you want some help with both, holistic tools also work for you. They can check which words you repeat too much or if you use adverbs excessively and improve your choices in general.
What Is Grammarly?
Grammarly is one of the writing-enrichment tools that we mentioned. It allows you to use it in many different ways - through their website, as a desktop app or an extension that improves your writing whether you’re texting on Facebook or typing in Google Docs. It will flag all of your mistakes, whether simple and related to spelling or more complex areas of improvement.
You can create an account for free and the process is simple. You can also opt for a paid version which brings you access to the plagiarism checker - here’s more on why it’s so important: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/life-art/201010/plagiarism-and-its-effect-creative-work
The browser extension is probably one of the most convenient aspects of the service you can use. It will follow you across the web and fix any mistakes. Using convenient emojis, Grammarly also shows you just what kind of a message you are sending - are you being professional, friendly, emotional and so on.
You can also expand this feature and have Grammarly rate your readability and show you where your writing can be improved.
Pros and Cons
Here are some of the advantages of the Grammarly Service:
- Easy to set up and use
- A clean, minimalistic look
- The extension helps wherever you are
- Premium plagiarism detector
Here are some disadvantages of the service:
- If you need more serious help, the free version won’t help much
- Could be expensive in a full version
- You won’t always agree with the corrections
What is Ginger?
Ginger is another popular writing enhancement tool which has the grammar checking as its primary offer. It will check your writing as you go and pick up on various mistakes you make. This can include simple typos or punctuation mistakes or more complex issues like the structure of your sentences and your style.
It also offers some extra features like the dictionary, rephrases of your sentences and a synonym finder.
Ginger, just like Grammarly, offers a browser extension and making an account is simple and easy. It’s completely cloud-based so you have nothing to download.
Pros and Cons
To make a choice in Grammarly vs Ginger, you need to know the pros and cons of Ginger too.
Here are some of the pros:
- Useful features like rephrasing and dictionary as well as synonym finder
- Translator tool
- Simple login and interface
Here are some of the cons:
- Clunky to use
- Only a small space to work in and sometimes your text can disappear
- It doesn’t work with email or other online tools; you have to type in their software and then copy it to your email
Both services have something fun and useful to offer, so you might want to consider using them both. Grammarly could be a good general tool while you could use Ginger as a synonym finder or dictionary. But if you are looking for something handy that could be your only tool to use all the time, Grammarly certainly has more to offer.